We're offering this list of eateries--plus a few bars, attractions, and oddities--for our guests and guests unknown to get ideas about where to spend their time and money. Only places we have visited and actually recommend are on the list. Of course, the list is ever-growing, as we continue to explore new spots every week.
If you'd like to suggest places that aren't here yet, feel free to leave a comment, and we'll add it to the list if we agree. Happy exploring...
Updated on April 8, 2015--Added to list: Dick & Jenny's, Borgne, MoPho, Pho Bistreaux, Superior Seafood, Toups' Meatery. Food Orleans' stories linked in brackets.
- Central Grocery (home of the muffaletta; mostly takeaway)
- Domenica (Rustic Italian cooking; beautifully sauced handmade pastas, pizzas, and the best octopus carpaccio in town; great cheese and salami boards)
- Coop's Place (best restaurant jambalaya, hands down)
- Stanley (right on Jackson Square; the best gumbo in the French Quarter; breakfast all day; interesting po-boys, especially the pizza/casesar salad combo) [my visit]
- Felix's (great oysters, turtle soup, sweet potato fries) [my visit]
- Antoine's (high-priced, long-established classic French; recommended if you can budget it)
- Port of Call (great big steak-like burgers, steaks, baked potatoes (no french fries here), big sweet drinks; there's usually a line out the door, but it's worth it; vegetarians beware)
- Galatoire's (legendary spot for Creole cuisine, festive dining rooms, excellent service, no reservations accepted. Take aunt Rudy's advice and get the green salad with garlic) [my visit]