You can season roasted roots however you want: salt and pepper, fresh or dried herbs, spices such as curry powder or paprika. There are no rules! I've never tried a roasted vegetable I didn't like. Lagniappe: Make a really big batch, then puree the leftovers the next day with chicken stock for roasted vegetable soup!
roasted potatoes and turnips
- 3 medium red skinned potatoes, cut in 1" chunks
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut in 1" chunks
- 1 pound baby turnips, tops trimmed (or regular turnips, cut in 1" chunks)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste (plus any herbs and/or spices you like)
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a large, shallow baking pan, combine the potatoes and turnips. Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to coat and distribute the oil evenly, spreading everything out into a single layer. Add more seasoning if necessary.
- Roast for 40 to 60 minutes, until browned and tender, stirring once or twice throughout the cooking process.
serves 3 as a side dish
See part 1 of 5 Easy Pieces: smoked salmon breakfast pizza