- 2 cups leftover cold mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- butter and olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed potatoes and egg and mix well (it should be a little stiff still). Season with salt and pepper if you think the potatoes might be a little bland.
- With your hands, form potato mixture into small cakes, about 2.5" in diameter and 1/2" thick. You'll have 4 to 5 cakes.
- Dredge the cakes carefully in dry breadcrumbs, pressing a little to help the breadcrumbs stick.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together. When the butter stops foaming, add the cakes without crowding (you may need to do two batches). Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Carefully turn and cook until the other side is browned, about 4 more minutes. Serve immediately.
makes 4 to 5 cakes